The Director of Research is responsible for leading and overseeing an applied research agenda at BHER. This role is ideal for an experienced professional with a strong interest and subject-matter expertise in skills, talent, and innovation in Canada. The Director of Research works closely with BHER’s Executive Team and will have opportunities to engage BHER members through their work.
- Lead and oversee the development of a strategic, member-serving applied research agenda.
- Plan and deliver research projects on time and on budget.
- Lead research design and development of new research deliverables, including reports, tools, resources, and other.
- Develop and implement effective research policies, processes, and procedures.
- Develop collaborative public and private sector research relationships.
- Work collaboratively with the communications/knowledge mobilization team, including developing a strategy for engagement and translating the results of research for specific audiences and stakeholder groups.
- Manage and provide direction to research team members and work closely with BHER’s Executive Team.
- Other duties as required from time to time to support the organization's objectives.
Academic background and experience
- Master’s degree or higher and 10 years’ experience in research, project and people management, and stakeholder relations.
- A combination of education, training, and experience deemed equivalent.
Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- A passion for our vision, mission, and values.
- Collaborative, team-oriented, highly productive.
- Leadership skills.
- High quality interpersonal relations.
- Superior ability to think critically and strategically, apply sound judgment and problem solve.
- Experience with business development and research funding sources.
- Proven success in a member or client-facing role and in dealing with complex issues in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Experience with various research methodologies.
- Experience with project budgeting.
- Commitment to speaking your truth. Always.
BHER is committed to having an inclusive workplace with equitable access to employment, development, and advancement opportunities for current and future employees. We encourage candidates to apply from diverse backgrounds. Applicants must reside in Canada.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and racialized/marginalized folks are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At BHER we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. The connection between your skills and experiences and the role may not be immediately obvious, or you may also be the right candidate for other roles at BHER.
BHER offers a comprehensive benefits package, a flexible remote work environment and provides technical equipment for remote work. Please send your resume and cover letter to @email. Applications are assessed as they are received and the posting will remain open until we’ve successfully filled the position(s.
The Business + Higher Education Roundtable (BHER) is a non-partisan, not-for-profit organization that brings together some of Canada’s largest companies and leading post-secondary institutions. Launched in 2015, we have worked to harness the strengths of Canada’s businesses and post-secondary institutions to create opportunities for young Canadians, boost innovation, and drive collaboration. Learn more about BHER here.